Prune Kueh Lapis Spekkoek (Indonesian Prune Layer Cake) is a mixture of sweet and sour that keeps the taste rather refreshing. High fibre prunes is a favourite among the health conscious customers!
Here is a recipe for Kueh Lapis lovers. Enjoy!
Recipe taken from Mad Baker (http://www.madbaker.net/)
20 egg yolks
4 egg whites
500g salted butter
3 tbsp condensed milk
200g plain flour
2 tsp ground mixed spices
2 tsp vanilla essence
3 tbsp rum or brandy
90g pitted prunes, sliced into thin strips (optional)
1) Butter the base of an 8? X 8? X 2.5? pan and line with baking parchment.
2) Pre-heat your oven, selecting the grill function.
3) Sift the plain flour and mixed spices together.
4) Beat the egg yolks and sugar together until pale yellow, thick and creamy.
5) Cream the butter and condensed milk together until soft and fluffy. Add the creamed butter to the egg yolk mixture and mix until combined.
6) Beat the egg whites until medium firm peaks.
7) Fold in the egg whites, followed by the flour mixture into the rest of the batter.
8) Stir in the vanilla essence and rum until well-combined.
9) Spread a thin layer of batter onto the parchment paper.
10) Grill for 7 – 8 mins on the lowest rack in your oven or until lightly golden brown.
11) Remove cake pan from oven and press the baked layer down lightly with a metal fondant smoother. Prick all over the layer of cake with a toothpick.
12) Repeat steps 9 to 11 for each layer. (Optional: Add prunes on every second or third layer).
13) For the last layer, turn the oven down to 180 degrees C and bake on middle rung for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
14) Remove from oven and run a paring knife along the edges of the cake pan.
15) Turn the kueh lapis out of the pan and remove the baking parchment.
16) Flip cake back upright and let cool.